Artist Collection: (198 of 445)< Previous | Next >
Tags: europe, britain, united kingdom, uk, england, derbyshire, ashford-in-the-water, peak district, national park, sheepwash bridge, ancient, 17th century, packhorse bridge, footbridge, arches, river wye, trees, landscape, dry stone wall, village, swan, clouds, landmark, spring, sky
- + MOUSE OVER image to zoom in
- + CLICK to enlarge
across sheepwash bridge, ashford-in-the-waterby rod johnson
- Artist Notes
- The 17t century Sheepwash Bridge, spanning the River Wye at Ashford-in-the-Water, Derbyshire, England. This former packhorse bridge was later used for washing sheep, hence its current name. The lambs were taken across the bridge and placed in the attached stone pen, the ewes were then released from the opening on the opposite side of the bridge, and they would swim across the river to their lambs and in so doing, their fleece was washed prior to shearing.
- Contact Artist Send Artist an Email
More about rod johnson
- staffordshire, united kingdom
- Artist Biography
- All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Rod Johnson - All rights reserved Hello, I'm a self-taught fine art photographer based in Staffordshire, United Kingdom. I've been capturing photographic images for over 50 years, using a wide range of equipment from the most basic manual camera to the lates ...